Thursday, January 3, 2013

Energy.

Be myself. What does that even mean? I am not born with the knowledge of being myself. Be myself. It sounds ridiculous. I am who I am today because of external influences that has shaped my being. Television shows that entertain me, influential people that I follow closely, books that brought me endless journeys, movies that opened up my mind to countless possibilities, friends who allowed me to be comfortable experimenting the types of personality available, family who loves me no matter what kind of self I am being - these are the things that create me. I am just puzzle pieces of things I stumbled upon that I have come to enjoy being.



It feels amazing to be able to play with words again. I welcome you, tappy fingers!

2 comments:

bloody awful poetry said...

YAASS welcome back, fingers! I told you it's a thing that comes and goes :)

Also yes, that phrase became completely meaningless to me a while ago. And you put it so well - we're all definitely little human patchworks of all the people and things we allow into our lives. And I think the only way to actually "be yourself" is to never compromise on your values or what you believe in. And those principles definitely came from somewhere else. I mean I guess at the heart of it, what you mean is that our identities are CONSTRUCTED, not inherently present in us from birth. And just because it's a constructed identity pieced together from hundreds of different influences, doesn't mean it's any less real or less valid or less "yourself".

Sue Fyenn said...

^ YES. OH GOD YES. WHY DO YOU ARTICULATE STUFF SO PERFECTLY?