Monday, January 2, 2012

Aspect.

Blog descriptions, I was never a fan of it. Why? I'm not really sure but it's probably because it just feels weird describing myself. I wouldn't know if the description of myself is who I really am or perceive myself to be. I like the idea of being random but it doesn't mean I'm really a person who randomly does things. They say that it is you who knows yourself best. I hardly agree with that, really. Because I can't explain my own feelings, thoughts and actions sometimes.

A couple of days ago, I had the urge of putting up a blog description. I rounded up a few friends to do a description of me as a blogger and as a person in general. At that time, it seemed like the right thing to do; get a couple of people to do the work I am uncomfortable of doing. I just needed to cut and paste their descriptions into a section and voila, a blog description. However, I woke up today and decided that I am not going to go through with a blog description. The idea of narrowing people's perception and views about me with a blog description felt silly. I have a whole blog to allow people to imagine the person I put out to the world and I decided to restrict their minds from seeing me the way they wish to see me with a blog description. 

Eddie Vedder had the same concept too when his band, Pearl Jam refused to make music videos for their songs.
“Before music videos first came out, you’d listen to a song with headphones on, sitting in a beanbag chair with your eyes closed, and you’d come up with your own visions, these things that came from within. Then all of a sudden, sometimes even the very first time you heard a song, it was with these visual images attached, and it robbed you of any form of self-expression."
  Eddie Vedder 

I have been blogging for years and I believe that readers have developed a vague image of me as a blogger and a person in their minds now. To create a blog description just makes my years of blogging and choice of opening myself up to the Internet pointless and meaningless. By blogging and not restricting this blog from strangers is allowing myself to be judged, however harsh it may be. Perhaps this blog has also changed judgments that were developed against me. I don't blog to justify my actions but to allow readers to understand and see the way I see everything. This is also where I am most honest with myself, despite the irony of the Internet being filled with deception. 

And also, am I really so one-dimensional that I can be described as a person and a blogger with just a blog description that contains so little words? I hope not and I do not wish to project that kind of image.

2 comments:

bloody awful poetry said...

Well there you go. Frankly I think your blog is too much an extension of your deepest self to really be condensed down into a few pithy sentences. How do you even begin to sum up what you've written here over the years? Now me, that's easy to categorize and slam some witty introduction at the top. I am rarely self-reflective and philosophical online, like you are.

And your blog IS called Silence, you know. Words can be superfluous.

Sue Fyenn said...

Oh, V. :)