Saturday, January 14, 2012

An Open Letter To Foster The People

Dear Foster The People,

I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of the irresponsible fans in the Fanatic Zone and the fans in general when you toured in Malaysia yesterday.

Guys, I love your music and I love you as a person. Therefore, I am terribly sorry that fans were constantly shouting "Mark Foster, I love you!" and "Pontius, you are so hot!" while you guys were performing. It felt like a competition of who shouts their affections and urges to fuck you louder instead of really listening and enjoying your music. I have to admit, I was a little embarrassed to be in the crowd when they were screaming and gushing over your hotness when you were introducing Broken Jaw. You were trying to connect with the crowd by telling the back-story of Broken Jaw (how it was a hard time for you and all that) and the fans (mostly fangirls) were more interested in proposing to you from the crowd. I promise, I didn't join in the 'I love you' screams although I really do love you guys. That's why I am writing this to you and I hope you'll read it. Because I am not trying to get into your pants, but because I love you guys and respect all of you as people who inspire commoners like me to continue to live and breathe music.

I am sorry for the way the crowd acted in Fanatic Zone. Frankly speaking, this was one of the worst crowds I have ever been in. The fangirls were vicious and self-centered. They were pulling hairs and almost yanked my bra and top off. I wish I was kidding. I even heard about an incident during your concert that a girl fainted and people didn't stop to give a fuck but instead, ignored her existence and trampled on her. When I heard about it, I was truly disgusted by the crowd. The crowd was pushing and didn't give the front row enough space that the front row fans couldn't literally breathe. Their chests were smashed against the metal barricades and they couldn't even catch their breaths. Mark Foster, you even told the fans to stop pushing towards the stage. That was really nice of you to do that because it got so bad that you actually noticed and I appreciate it. But it didn't really last long because it got worse after that. I've never experienced such a scene in my years of attending gigs. I saw many gig virgins there and they said that this will be their first and last gig, which is just a shame because some gigs are just fan-fucking-tabulous if the crowd was kind and awesome enough. I'm sorry because of how uncivilised and selfish the fans acted yesterday.

Sean and Isom, I am so sorry that the fans didn't know who you were. One of the fangirls asked me why is that hobo playing the guitar instead of Foster. No words could express how I wanted to answer, 'What the fuckery fuck? That's Sean.' but I didn't. I told her your name and she nodded like she didn't really care about your name. She was the same girl who had a fucking orgasm when she got a drumstick (yes, a drumstick. One drumstick. How useful.) that Mark Pontius was holding and using it to play the drums. I hope you hear me sighing through the Internet right now because I am sighing as I type this. I'm so sorry that the fangirls are not aware of your contributions to the band because I really believe that you guys are already part of Foster The People.

Also, I was glad that you guys were offstage when this happened. A child (she probably just started menstruating for all I know) screamed at the top of her lungs that she loves you, Foster and she would love it if you would impregnate her. See, there's a difference with having thoughts like that (which I do, to be honest) and screaming it out loud at a concert. Foster, I love you as a person and as a musician but I wouldn't go up to you and voice out my sexual frustrations upon our first introduction. I do it here, in my blog because it's for me alone but if I meet you, I will not say things like that anyway because you are a person with feelings and I would be fucking offended if someone came up to me and tell me how I am so fuckable and how I should have his babies. Because I am not a sex object and neither are you. It's just fucking disrespectful, to make things short and I am sorry that she degraded you to that level.

Foster, I'm sorry that the fans couldn't share the love you have for Ruby. I was a little shocked when you left the stage the first time without singing Ruby because I was really anticipating a live version of Ruby after listening to crappy recorded-at-concerts versions and the studio version. To hear fans in the crowd asking among themselves the title of the song you were singing, that just broke my heart. In fact, I think the only person (if not, one of the few) who was singing to Ruby while waving my phone in the air with flickers of blue, red and white lights. I hope you saw me because you sounded the best during Ruby.

However, you guys really gave your all in the concert. If I wasn't busy worrying about where I should be putting my foot, trying not to die, looking out for other fellow fans who are a virgin at this and needs protection from a senior gigger like myself and trying not get dry humped (which I did experience), I would've enjoyed your performance. I would've allowed Helena Beat to be the song I sang the loudest and I would join in with the shuffling dance, Foster. I would've displayed my own dance moves that has never seen daylight to the world because it has only been done in the four walls of my room and you guys would have been impressed by it. The crowd really ruined my gig experience with you guys and you have no idea how fucking shitty, disappointed, frustrated and sad I felt after the gig. I was looking forward to meeting you guys for months and to have my mood destroyed by the crowd, it kinda made me cry a little after the gig, okay? I was that disappointed.

I just hope you guys will come back soon. However, you won't be seeing me at the second row anymore. I'll be loving your music and dancing to myself at the back, where I have ample of space to shuffle and wave my arms and phone in the air.

Take care and continue to make music like you always do.


The fan who was waving her phone with red, blue and white lights,
Sue Fyenn

6 comments:

bloody awful poetry said...

Firstly, *hugs*. Secondly, thanks for doing this. Thirdly, thanks for the title of that song that Mark F said meant a lot to him but nobody heard because of the screaming - I didn't know that was Broken Jaw. I loved that, it sounded really good. Fourthly, I sincerely hope someone from the band or related to the band reads this. Or even just someone who was there last night.

That front section of the Fanatic zone was pretty much a fucking nightmare. I get the excitement, I get the passion, I get the euphoria. I've been there. But when it comes to the point where other people are too busy worrying about their own safety and trying to make sure people around them aren't falling over and getting trampled and dying? No. Fuck no. Last night was vicious, bitchy, foul. That behaviour was uncalled for. And it's sad that for every nice, decent, considerate person we DID meet, there were also five total assholes.

I feel bad for us, for the band, for the first-time gig goers who had to deal with that. But I still do love Foster and co., and I hope this nonsense dies out at some point, because gah.

Yan said...

Ruby was the most beautiful song performed that night.. because every one apparently STOPPED pushing and all that.. because they didn't know the song! when I was singing along with it, it was quite sad that people were like "what song is this? new song? what's the title again? Ruby?" among themselves..

and it was pretty obvious that the crowd sang the loudest for Pumped Up Kicks especially for the chorus! I bet that's the only song they know best! and because of that one song they love, they call themselves "fans"

-Yan-

Sue Fyenn said...

Yan, can't agree more. They call themselves fans when all they want is to dance to PUK and CIWYW, which is really a shame because they are missing out on so many other awesome songs in the record.

eiger said...

i heard about the malaysia concert i feel so sorry for what happened :( but consider yourselves lucky they went to MY, i had to fly to SG from the PH just to watch and meet them :) i'm glad after reading this there are a lot of FTP fans who like the band for their music and not for their looks or Pumped Up Kicks :) i'm thankful for amazing FTP and Torches, it has inspired me and touched my life in so many ways :)

** here's to hoping they'll return to Asia soon:)

Mit said...

Hey I got here from Twitter. Your open letter is heartfelt and sincere. I am so sad that you were surrounded by these people. I was in the fanzone too with a couple of guys and gals who knew the lyrics to every song except Say It Ain't So and Ruby. I am a gig virgin and I guess out of naivete or ignorance I managed to enjoy the show. I just wish I had some space to dance though, like in their PUK music video. Thanks for this post and the other one, I think you've restored my confidence in gigs. =)

p.s. your blog's awesome.

Sue Fyenn said...

eiger, thanks for sympathizing. People thought I was overreacting to the gig because I chose to attend a gig so, I just gave up trying to make others understand. I hope your trip to SG is worth it because FTP is brilliant live. There are a lot of FTP fans who are genuinely into them for the music (the looks are just a plus point :P) on the Internet. I actually feel at home on Tumblr because of how enthusiastic and amazing the fan blogs and fans are. It just feels like we're a family or something. :) Torches got me through a really rough patch of my life. I was so close to just giving up and leaving everything I've been working for for years because I was too tired of life. But Torches comforted me and aided in my process of regaining control of my life. It's a really special album to me. I'm really glad it changed your life too. :) Here's to more FTP!

Hey, Michelle. Thanks for dropping by. :) I am saddened by that fact too. I really wished I was surrounded by fans like you and eiger because that would really make my gig experience just magical. I wished I had more space to boogie too because you can't really listen to FTP standing still. You really just need to do that shoulder shrug dance when FTP is on. Hahaha. And thanks for that compliment. :)