Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Flood.

This Valentine's Day, I was greeted with pictures of a 21 year old friend who just got married on Facebook. White dress and all. Today, I found out that another friend who is the same age as I am is pregnant and engaged. In this one month period, I have been bombarded with ideas of women settling down and being someone's wife.

It's not that I'm feeling bitter because they have someone and I don't. It's not that I'm terrified that I won't be able to find someone to settle down with. Don't worry, my biological clock is not ticking. I'm mostly traumatised by those findings because:-

1) I've just graduated from high school and they are already settling down.
2) I have not even enrolled myself in a university and they are already making plans for a marriage.
3) I don't have that special someone and they are already making babies.


Do you understand the trauma I'm currently experiencing? They are my friends. They are the people whom I usually see and say hi when I was in school. And now, they are someone's wife. Someone's mother. I'm not sure if they are moving too fucking fast or I'm just too slow when it comes to matters like this. I'm highly positive they are moving like a fucking bullet train. Yes, that must be it.

I knew that once I step into my twenties, I will start receiving wedding invitations with my name on it, instead of my parents' from friends. I will begin seeing engagement rings on their fingers. I expected events like these to take place in y'know, three to four years' time. Not after three fucking months of being twenty. Heck, I am not even twenty yet. I'm not even twenty and the people I know are already having embryos and foetuses in their wombs. Legally. So, yeah. Forgive me for overreacting after finding out that a 20 year old girl that I know and gone to school with is about to get married because I am not mentally prepared to handle this yet. I expected people in the age range of 20 to 22 to be as clueless and reckless with their lives as I am and be all 'Woohooo, we are still young so we can be reckless young adults! Bring on the booze yeah!' and not y'know, earning to support a family.

I am not a university student yet and they are already someone's parents. Wa-ow. I don't know how to react to this.
Martin, you and I both. You and I both.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I completely understand how you feel man! A school mate of mine also got married.