Tuesday, March 6, 2012

There.

Are you familiar with the feeling when you hear a song that was significant to you at one point of your life after years of not hearing a note of it? When your music player was on shuffle and it plays that song that has been buried under thousands of other songs?



I heard this song just now, when I was looking through pictures in Tumblr. When the guitar part came on, I stopped. I had to because I couldn't do anything else but to focus on the song. It felt so good to listen to a song that got me through one of the difficult phases in my life. The song felt so familiar. It transported me back to the year 2008. Horrible year. What can I say? It was the year I began realising that everything we as teenagers have been hoping for - popularity, mostly - means nothing. More friends for what? Useless. It was the year I began to fall out with friends. One by one, fight after fight. I admit that I was pretty well-known (I am not boasting, I promise) and I simply fell out of the grid in 2008 and in 2009, I was pretty much last year's news. Not that I was complaining.

And here I am, in 2012. Listening to the same song that got me through those dark and numb nights. I remember having this song on repeat for more than four hours. I was lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling with my doors locked. And this reminds me of how much music matters to me. It is music that helps in the purging of my soul during my lowest. When I heard it again today after so many years, it sounds brand new. Like, music I have never heard before. And it's doing it again; cleansing my soul and making life tad more bearable.

I will never be able to repay musicians. Their music is forever helping me up, even after I have abandoned them. This song has not seen the daylight for years and yet, it never left me. Still there. Forever there. Thank God for music.

No comments: