Monday, April 2, 2012

Hill.

"Once we get into combat, the only people you can trust is yourself and the fellow next to you."  
Guanere, Band of Brothers

I just finished watching the first episode of Band of Brothers and all I can think to myself is, "These men came from different walks of life, left their homes and loved ones behind to volunteer to fight a war for their country and people. And they depended on no one but themselves." They put their lives in each other's hands -- no questions asked. They don't doubt the people they are fighting alongside with them because they are going into an unknown territory for the same reasons and aim and that is, to win a war and to just come out of the battlefield alive. Together. That one word and boy, is it a powerful word. They are going in together and only desire to come out together. Guh, men and their fucking brotherly bonds that are developed while they are training for war. I am so jealous of the bond that holds them together so tightly that they are willing to die for each other. And to believe that they were strangers before that.

Damn it. These men are the real unsung heroes. And I am only at episode one. I am going to be an emotional wreck once I am done with this. 

1 comment:

bloody awful poetry said...

I'll be over there with the jumbo-sized tissue packs. You'll need them. Even after countless repeat viewings, Band of Brothers never gets any less emotional.

p.s It's hard to pick favourites with a show like this, but I had the hugest crushes on Liebgott and Lt. Speirs.

p.p.s Also on the medic, Eugene Roe, in the Bastogne episodes.

p.p.p.s The Bastogne episodes will rip your feelings to shreds. Be ready.