Sunday, October 16, 2011

Crickets.

There's one thing I truly miss when I was in secondary school.

Passing notes.

Exam times are usually the time when I unleash my sneaky fingers skill. I would write the question number on a paper, fold it into a minute sized origami and pass it to a friend, usually a smarter friend who is kind enough to share answers. I would have an equal share of scrunched up papers coming my way too and I was never stingy with my answers.

I remember that one time when everyone in my class were furiously passing notes to each other during exam. I think the new substitute teacher noticed our master plan and someone (I wish I knew who it was) threw a ball of empty paper into the air. The teacher approached the person and opened the paper and she was a little disappointed because it was empty. The whole class giggled. Then, another paper ball flew into the air. Then another. The next scene is so epic that it is forever seared in my memory. Everyone, and I mean everyone started throwing paper balls into the air. It was like a confetti party in class. The teacher was so shocked that she just stood fixed at her spot, glaring at everyone. And we were laughing, picking up the papers on the floor and continued throwing papers into the air.

That was one of the best days of my school life. For once, the class felt like a unit. We felt like we were in this together. The teacher can't possibly report all of us to the principal, that's why we were daring enough to do it. The teacher screamed for us to stop but we didn't. And she walked out of class to get another teacher's help to diffuse the excitement we had.

Ah, the good ol'days.
______


This is the next Amy Winehouse, ladies and gentlemen.

2 comments:

bloody awful poetry said...

:D Aaah note-passing during exams. It was such a moral gray area and I think EVERYONE did it. Although there was some sort of unspoken moral code (in my year anyway) when it came to "Major" exams - SPM trials, final year exams - when everybody understood that this was the one time you did not pass notes. Also your class was epic. Tabik! (I feel bad for the teacher though. It's not easy dealing with assholes like us, sometimes).

Sue Fyenn said...

OH YES. We never copy during the major ones. And it's like, everyone just knows when to stop copying. Ah, the student blood in all of us.

I felt bad for the teacher too when the memory came back. But at that time, it was the coolest thing we've ever done.